Sunday, July 27, 2008

Why do butterflies freak kids out?

Yesterday I took C3 & Q2 to "Wings of Fancy" a live butterfly exhibit in Brookside gardens with my friend J37. We'd been trying to get together for a while; finally, yesterday we did.


We walked around the gardens first, actually, it was lovely. Both girls enjoyed the fountains and the flowers. We walked to a gazebo and had our picnic lunch. After lunch we took some photos, and Q2 started flipping out on me.

E, Q & C grumpy

She didn't want to sit next to me. She didn't want me sitting next to her. So this is what I did:

Can't stand Mumma


And you can see she is still not keen on me being anywhere near her!

Once done there we strolled down the hill, circled the fountains about 7 times .... me trailing Q2 in case she fell in ... when she falls, she falls head first, and she'd just sink right into the pond!

We stopped at a cool bench for a photo

Butterfly wings

We then went and bought our tickets for the exhibit. You buy them in the giftshop, which was tempting for the girls ... toys. They both picked some up, but I had them put the toys back, we weren't buying any, blah blah blah. And we started walking to the exhibit. But then about 50 feet away, I noticed C3 had a new dodad in her hand ... a stolen toy. We walked back, I made her return it with an apology to the storekeeper, and then we finally got on our way.

You are forbidden to touch any butterfly in the exhibit, and both C3 & Q2 got a big warning about it ... enough so that they were very good inside. I was trailing them closely for a while to make sure they wouldn't touch a butterfly, but they were freaked out enough by the insects that they made no move toward them. In fact, there was some screaching when some flitted by.


Butterfly and Chrysalis


butterfly on flower



I did a horrible job taking photos of the butterflies. All turned out fuzzy because I didn't turn the setting on the camera and ended up focusing on rocks and flowers behind the butterflies. And, too, they were moving. And I'm just a fuzzy photo taker.

The exhibit was nice, and when we were done, we walked back up through the gardens, rested on benches, and had J37s delicious yummy incredible chocolate cream-cheese filled cupcakes.

These are the before photos ... after was chocolate lips and dresses!

Quinlan

On the bench

On the ride home Q2 fell asleep within minutes of hitting the car. She was knackered. When she woke it was time for my birthday party ... cake and mojitos and drinks for the kids. My neighborhood friends came over and we had a great time! It was lovely.

This is what bedtime looked like. Well, almost. Q2 took off her diaper, but for modesty's sake (and so she wouldn't wet the bed) I put it back on.

The end of the day

No comments:

Post a Comment