Thursday, October 2, 2008

Now, just where have we been?

It was a lovely vacation. Much much too short! Actually, no, it was perfect, but surrounded by whole days of driving on either end, which is difficult.

But, here's the scoop.

Tuesday, C39 had to go to work to get stuff done before we left. The girls & I packed the car and made food and did stuff. Vacuuming. Dishes. Laundry. Cutting up paper into millions of little pieces. Vacuuming again. Packing up toys and blankies for the car. Unpacking and playing with toys and blankies. Spilling oatmeal, peas, blueberries & honey on the floor. Washing the floor. Spilling soy milk on the floor. Washing the floor again. Getting excited about eating lunch in the car. And so forth.

But, by 1:00 C39 was home, we threw the children into the car and took off. We made good time, actually, and were in South Yarmouth by 8:30, I think.

I am definitely a September beach fan. Being on Cape Cod made me want to live on Cape Cod. It was gorgeous. And not busy (although I know it is during the summer). And just wonderful. The girls loved the beach.

Here's C4 at Race Beach in P-Town
Looking Up

And here is Q2 at the same beach.
Smile

After two days there, C39 & I left with a little bit of trepidation for the wedding in Vermont. We left C4 & Q2 with my parents on Cape Code (left them for the first time ever). But I got over it pretty quickly ... Vermont was amazing, gorgeous, incredible and I remembered why I liked the mountains better than the beach, and I switched back to wanting to live in Vermont and the mountains.

We visited Queeche Gorge ... nice little hike there ... C39 took this photo with the telephoto or somethingorother lens. Quechee Gorge
The "swish" of it makes it especially interesting to me since after we left to visit a farm but before we came back through on our way back, somebody decided to committ sucide at the Gorge. Apparently this happens 2-3 times a year. Usually locals, this was a man from CT. It was disturbing to drive through, see the ambulance and police cars parked there, small groups of officials looking over the edge, and sad groups of people standing around. I'm very glad we weren't there, because even having been so close you wonder if you could have helped the person and kept them from jumping. But imagine if you were right there and he'd climbed over while you were just 20 feet away and unable to do anything? Much worse.


We visited a load of covered bridges, the Morrill House in Strafford, VT. Our tour guide loved the place, obviously, and was fantastic. I would highly recommend that anybody who likes old houses & history visit if they have the opportunity. We didn't have time to visit the grounds, and both C39 and I were disappointed about that, but the wedding beckoned, and we had to get back to our B&B to get dressed.

J & A's wedding was beautiful. The food was fantastic. The music was great. And I got to meet some of the people I've been hearing about for years and years. And see some again that I haven't seen for a long time. So that was really nice.

We drove back down on Sunday, met my parents and our children in CT at a D'Angelo's in Cromwell. I recommend their classic veggie pocket. Best fast food ever.

And then we drove home. Whew.

No comments:

Post a Comment