Sunday, December 21, 2008

Gingerbreading

Today was the day. Gingerbread house making. We had extra houses, so C4 & Q2 decorated houses before the adult decorations began.

Q2 working on her house

C4 working on her house

But, actually, there was a lot of frosting and candy being eaten. Q2 doesn't speak much in this video, but if you listen you can hear C39 & C4 in the background, talking about going to the Museum of American History, and Q2 & I only engage in minimal chat.



After their hands were washed, C39 took them away, and the adult gingerbreading began.

In the past, I've made all the gingerbread, put together the houses and put them on cardboard and in a box for my friends to make.

This year I broke with tradition (having just made a 19 mini houses for C4's classroom to decorate) and said "bring your own!"

Which could explain the attrition rate. 6 RSVP'd yes, and 2 made it! L. said yes, but ended up in Massachusetts this weekend to help her sister. C. said yes but got a stomach bug. I. said yes, but her youngest son was vomiting and she couldn't come. J. said yes but backed out saying she didn't have time to make herself a house (and I offered her 2 of the extras from C4's classroom, even!). So, I had two guests, E & G. And me of course.

We did pretty damn good. E's house, the first she'd ever made, was gorgous:

Elizabeth's first ever house!

G's cookies were hysterical. Take a look at the gingerbread man covered in smarties at the top. And the one covered in candy cigarettes. And one covered in mini jujubes. And there is one with Necco Wafers for a hula skirt (not pictured). These were fantastic.

Geraldine's Cookies

I made a carousel. My gingerbread was made with blackstrap molasses, which is why it is very very dark. A nice color for the gingerbread, but not as tasty. I enjoyed making this a lot! I should have decorated the inside before putting up the candycane poles & reindeer "horses," but I didn't, so it is hard to see the reindeer. They are incredibly cute, and the cutter came in the mail 2 minutes (REALLY) after I started questioning how I was going to make tiny horses for the carousel. Thank you dad!! Problem solved, and the carousel has 8 tiny reindeer now!!

My slightly lopsided Carousel

No comments:

Post a Comment