Sunday, May 24, 2009

Building (continued!)

I've been craving more veggie gardening space. Where to grow stuff??? And I've been thinking about building a teepee ... ahem ... tipi for the kids. Then a couple of days ago a friend showed me a tipi that she built that was designed to be covered with vines and function as a mini playhouse for the kids (from Lowes). PERFECT. We are working on ours.

Not finished yet

C39 & I had a bit of debate as to where this thing should go

[Dialogue reenacted for drama]

E38: I think we can fit it on apple hill [a small lump in the landscape where there used to be an apple tree before drought and I killed it]
C39: There is a precipitous drop off to the East! The thing will be lopsided!
E38: It'll be fine!
C39: Harumph. Fine. Do what you want. [Implied: Don't blame me when it fails miserabley you silly silly person who never thinks ahead and just jumps in and ends up with a lopsided tipi -- if it stands at all]

And yes, it was fine. Mostly. C39 admitted that it worked better than he thought it would, and I admitted the site needed a little work.

So, C39 and I are prepping the site, trying to flatten out the hill built up by the last owners, and shore up the East side of apple hill so that we won't have much erosion.

Working the site

But when we are done, we'll have this great bamboo structure that will be covered with vines. Maybe scarlett runner (edible) and purple hyacinth (decorative). Maybe morning glory? Or whatever seeds I find left over at this time of year!!

***Afternoon update***

While C39 prepped the site, Q3, C4, and I had lunch:

while daddy works While daddy works

C39 built the retaining wall & tamped things down, and laid the weed barrier:

Laying the weed barrier

And once it was done Q3 got right down to work:

Q3 in the mulch

Here is the long shot:

The garden

And C39 is off right now getting our seeds and a bit of chunkier mulch for the girls to sit in.

No comments:

Post a Comment