Friday, August 12, 2011

Peace Camp

This past week the kids have been at Peace Camp. I didn't get much out of them about what actually happened at camp every day. I did find out that they spent most of each day outside (at different stations doing activities?), and that C6 was in the blue group (6 & 7 year olds, and Q5 in the red group (4 & 5 year olds). They are both REALLY looking forward to next year when they can be in the same group. They both asked if they could go to Peace Camp next year, which tickled me.

I know from talking with others that they were supposed to be learning strategies for solving conflict, which is why they were there. Although it was only one week, I'm hoping some of what they learned they will internalize.

Oh. And they had a Peace Camp Extravaganza today. Well, they didn't actually call it an extravaganza. But I did. And here is the proof.

C6 before the extravaganza starts

C6 at Peace Camp C6's shirt


Q5 and MH5 during their presentation ... it was a song about hands not for hitting for shoving, but for hugging. Or something like that.


MH5 and Q5  at peace camp
MH5 and Q5 Hug


And all the kids shared what gave them peace. It was difficult to hear what they say sometimes, but my kids have nice, loud voices. Still can't hear them. I'll translate.

Q5:[turns away from camera and starts playing with hair] I'm, I'm Q5 and I'm 5 and one third. What brings me peace is C6.
Audience: Awwwww.




Before her turn C6 tucked her shirt tail in through the top of her shirt to make a halter top. I was waving at her and telling her to put it down. She didn't. But this is why.
C6: my name is C6 and what brings me peace is reading without Q5 disturbing me and hula dancing to classiscal music.




They had a great time. We will do this again! Next year, same time, same place!!

No comments:

Post a Comment