Saturday, September 13, 2008

Third time's the charm

When C4 & Q2 are playing calmly, coloring, or cutting, or playing some variation of "dogs," I often take a few minutes to do dishes, laundry, whatever. Today it was drawing and cutting, so I went downstairs to do laundry (which also has not diminished since C39 is out of town. Perhaps it has but now I'm the only one here to fold it). From above I heard a little kerfuffle, some NO!s and then giggles and quiet. So, I didn't rush up too much.

But I should have.

Back in March, C4's hair was in her eyes. So she cut it. Quite short. Just in time for a wedding. She looked ... well, I got used to it.

Today, she got another haircut. From her sister, Q2. Who just wanted to cut hair, I guess. I returned upstairs to see her just clipping away at the top, and a rather large chunk taken out of her bangs.

This is what they thought of the situation:

September 13, 2008

(The bandaid is from C4 falling out of bed twice last night and right on her head. She must have been tired)

I didn't think it was quite as amusing, since there was hair everywhere. And really, C4's hair didn't need further thinning. A huge amount was cut off, considering it is not immediately noticable that C4 has a chunk of bangs missing.

The rest of the morning went well, quiet time was quiet, and then we headed out to Chillum Splash Pool. A favorite place of Q2 & C4. But, despite the fact that I called and listened to the hours on the machine, the place was closed for annual maintenance. So we were advised to head to Lane Manor Splash Pool, although I thought it would be closed since it is post Labor Day (foolish traditions). So then we headed over to Greenbelt Pool. We had to. Each time we got to a pool that was closed C4 started crying.

They loved it. Loved it. C4 just walked right in, and started doing her own thing, walking across the pool (the small 2-3 foot pool), back and forth, back and forth. By the end of the time we were there she had gone underwater holding her nose at least 10 times, and had begun jumping off the edge of the pool, first into my friend E's arms, then by herself into the pool while holding her nose. Over and over again. And then it was time to go. I got her out, went for our bag, and she just walked right back in. She didn't want to go. She was very upset to have to leave; we might go back tomorrow or Monday.

Q2 had a period of transition. She was so excited to go, but when we got there ... well, reality isn't always the same as anticipation. For the first 10 minutes she had what seemed to be a "belly button alarm" ... We walked down the ramp into the pool, and the water would reach her belly button and her mouth would open and she'd scream and turn around and walk back up. I tried holding her in the pool, and bouncing he in the water, but again, if she went over her belly button she'd scream.

But Q2 got used to it and soon we had a route ... down the 15 foot ramp (or, as she called it, the bridge), turn, walk next to the ramp, up the stairs, and back down the ramp and into the water. The water at the bottom of the ramp was up to her neck, but we did this at least 20 times. She occassionally wanted to walk further in, but once it got up to her chin, or lips, she'd freak out and I'd have to hold her hands and lead her to the shallower waters.

We eventually did leave, and to the fountain we went for dinner. I've found a meal I don't mind feeding them there: wraps from Wild Onion, with a side of fruit. The food is fresh and organic; the meat is organic and treated well (so they say). Q & C would have prefered PB&J tonight, but it is good to know whey will eat good food. It is expensive, but it isn't pizza or plain spaghetti.

C39, we miss you and love you; I hope you like the updates!

1 comment:

  1. I miss you guys, too. Quinn (& Celeste): NO! to the haircutting. You're killin' me here ...

    I'm sorry I missed the swimming. We have to do more of that.

    And I miss all of you sooooo much. I love you; I'm counting down the days until I get home to you.

    ReplyDelete