Sunday, April 5, 2009

HI!

Some time back I taught C4 to say "Hi, my name is C4, what's your name?" and now, with here and with Q2 we've been able to take it a step further.

The girls now say "Hi! My name is C4/Q2, what's your name?"
and the accosted will answer: "Hi! My name is Mary!"
and the girls will say "Hi, Mary, nice to meet you!"

Today Q2 accosted two adults this way, and the first, the owner at the ice-cream parlor, just went bonkers over her manners, thinking she was the most precocious thing. The second, a random woman walking down our street told me she'd just returned from 2 years in China, and nobody there every said "Nice to meet you" and it was precious to hear it from a child.

Well, I suppose it is. But I was just tired of them yelling "WHAT'S YOUR NAME?" at strangers and turning to run away before they got an answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment