Friday, May 22, 2009

Last week at school

Here is a nice anecdote about C4 ... I asked her teacher about it, and she said this type of thing may last her whole life (ie, being not fond of people dressing up ... although I assume that her reaction will be a bit more mature after a few years, eh?)

Last Wednesday the kids were told that firefighters would be coming with their trucks and an ambulance the next day. C4, of course, overthought it a bit, but didn't tell us about it (nor did Q2).

When, on Thursday, C4 heard that the firefighters were there, she asked to go to the lavatory to wash her hands ... and she locked the door and spent an inexordinate amount of time in there. I guess so she wouldn't have to see the firefighters. And she wouldn't come out.

When they got her out, finally, she had a tantrum to end tantrums ... yelling, screaming, crying. Kind of a surprise for everybody. I didn't know the firefighters were coming, but I don't think it would have made a difference ... I would not have suspected that things were going to go this way!

Anyway, her regular teacher was out, the sub and the assistant teacher were not up to the task, and so her last year's teacher calmed her down finally (whew) so when I got there she was just hanging out in the hall with her stuff ready to go home.

C4 & I went outside and chatted, and then I went in with her to see the firefighters. And she was fine. She would not shake hands with the firefighters with all their gear on (Q2 did), she wouldn't crawl around the room pretending to leave a burning building (Q2 did), but she did contribute to the conversation (dog-related, but whatever).

And then we went outside to see the trucks ... and she got into their fire engine without me, but then she came back out instead of going through to the other side, so I went in with her and went through. And all was fine.

Phew.

No more of those, please.

No comments:

Post a Comment