Thursday, December 3, 2009

Leopards.

I picked up Q3 this afternoon early so we could have lunch together. While we were sitting together I was zoning out a bit flipping through a catalog, since she was playing with her computer. But then she started talking and this caught my attention:

Q3: How to they turn back into people after being leopards?
E39: [??] What people? Where did you hear that?
Q3: In a song
E39: People don't turn into leopards
[pause]
Q3: Why did Jesus touch the leopards?
E39 [Lightbulb!]: Oh, lepers ... people with leprosy, not leopards.

I tried to explain love, and compassion, and bacteria, and society. But I think Q3 just heard "blah blah blah" and had more questions.

Q3: Who gets leprosy?
E39: Oh, men, women. Nobody I know has leprosy.
Q3: We never. [she was positive about this!]
E39: No, we don't have leprosy ... Armadillos can get leprosy.
Q3: Did Jesus touch them?
E39: I don't know, but I'm sure if Jesus had seen an armadillo with leprosy he would have touched it.
Q3: Why?
E39: To heal them.

So, it was an interesting conversation. I'm not sure how I handled it. I don't actualy mind that the kids learn this ... but they don't seem to have the full of it it they are really thinking that people are turning to leopards and then back again.

2 comments:

  1. Okay, now the conversation I was just having makes so much more sense. No mention of Jesus, and we ended up talking about Lyme disease ... but I still wasn't sure why the lions were turning people into leopards ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also ... somebody in the neighborhood has Lyme disease, and Q was there for that conversation. So, she's got the L diseases on the mind

    ReplyDelete