Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Cookie making

We had a great new year's eve party, great new year's day, and then one MORE day off and back to school for the girls, C42's at his new job, and I'm back to my cube, bemoaning the fact that I'm still in my cube, even though it was my choice to stay 80% time and accept the greater risk of not getting promoted (apparently, you need to work MORE, not at a more advanced level, to be recognized, but I supposed I knew that).

So. Anyway, that bit of gossipy non-news aside, Q5 decided to write a recipe for cookies today. I was perfectly fine with that, but encouraged her to go get a cookbook to look at some cookie recipes first. She pulled up a favorite of mine, The Joy of Cookies. My copy is getting rather rough looking but the cookies are still delicious.

But then she started to write down her recipe. I had to help guide her only three times The first instance was because she'd suggested 1 tbs. of butter to 3 cups of flour. I sent her back to the book, she revised up to 1/2 cup, and then we mutually decided 3/4 cup was perfect. The second time was when she wanted to put a cup of milk in her cookie dough. Might have been OK, but it wouldn't have been the dough she was seeking, so I suggested something less, and she decided 1 tbs. was just right. The third time was to ask if she wanted any baking powder or baking soda. She settled on 1 tsp. of baking soda, so we went with that.

Here is her recipe:


Q5's recipe


I asked her in what order the ingredients should be put together, and she said "the usual way" so we did that. We creamed the butter and sugar. Added the honey (I admit, we probably added about 2 oz of honey). Q5 cracked the eggs and we added them one by one, and beat well after each addition. The we put the dry ingredients together, and added those. Oh, yeah, she wanted an oz of cinnamon, I did suggest to her that some smaller measurement was better, like a tsp. or tbs. because an oz of cinnamon is almost a whole bottle of cinnamon. She scaled it back. You can see the recipe.

Then we added the milk and then the dry ingredients, mixed well, and refrigerated the dough.

Here is Q5 with her cookie dough.

Q5 with her dough


The dough tasted good! The honey cinnamon was a nice combination. We chilled the dough, then scooped out and rolled in sugar. You can see Q5 loved the sanding sugar!


Putting them on the tray


Then we baked at 350 for 7-10 minutes ... and they were out and cooling.

Cooked


And then after dinner we all had one.


Bite the cookie Cookie eye

1 comment: