Friday, October 31, 2014

Halloween, of course

We tend to be pretty casual about Halloween. I'm probably not going to make something elaborate or spend a lot of money on Halloween, but I'm willing to help them out as needed. It seems as though their best costumes have been made from things we've already had.

C10 didn't plan particularly well this year, and kept saying she'd be somebody from a book she'd written. When asked who exactly she refused to commit, and instead said she'd tell everybody a different character if they asked. So she threw on a cape, grabbed a basket and lined it with fabric and was who she was, which is what she does best.


C45 decided to be an grumpy old man sitting on the porch drinking beer. He did that well. And he handed out some special treats to friends. 

I don't usually dress up, and I didn't again, but I did put on some tattoos.

2014-10-31 17.11.11 2014-10-31 18.08.05

Way back in September Q8 decided to be a Zombie Pop Star with her friend K8. Which was a cool idea. But after a few weeks Q got a little stressed because her best friend H8 wanted her to be something else and we had to discuss how she could be what SHE wanted and didn't have to do everything that H8 did. I wasn't sure if that would help -- H8 is a huge influence in her life -- but obviously worth emphasizing that she needs to make her own decisions. And it sunk in, I guess, because after she read the Pippi Longstocking books again in October Q8 got the even more awesome idea to be Pippi Longstocking! Most excellent costume ever.

We borrowed a red dress and I loosely sewed on some patches. We borrowed a stuffed monkey to be Mr. Nilsson. I forgot about her moneybags & the horse she lifted over her head, but that would have been too much to carry with a candy bag, too. 

All I had to do was buy some orange hair spray. Of course I decided to go Thursday after one o'clock to the party store. Lunchtime the day before Halloween. So the line was outrageously long. LUCKILY I saw somebody I work with at the cash register and he and his friend took my hairspray and my $5 and I was able to avoid the 20 minute wait.

After getting home from school on Friday Q8 could not WAIT to get dressed up. 

And she spent the afternoon as Pippi. I barely recognize her.

2014-10-31 13.08.40-2

Trick or Treating ensued around 7:00, we hit the main drag, visited with friends, went to a party, then crashed in costume. Multiple people asked if they could take Q8's picture. Her costume that we spent $2.99 on (hairspray) was a total hit. I think because people remember reading and loving the books and the character is larger than life and memorable. One person was taking pictures for the local paper, so I'm hoping she makes it in.

 We took H8 home with us because I didn't want to walk her back to her house. Plus, a sleepover is always good. Snuggling on the same pillow ...

2014-10-31 22.55.15

The next morning all candy was counted and the loot was good.

2014-11-01 08.53.40



No comments:

Post a Comment