Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Tax Day -- I mean Q8's birthday!!

It seems to me as if we are travelling for Easter or spring break or something every year around April 15. Maybe I'm just imagining it, but of course this year was no different. Our little road trip sat squarely around April 15, and Q asked if we could be home for her birthday. So for that reason we lopped Charleston off our itinerary, and drove home on Q's birthday. Which really was enough of a visit for her, anyway. She was glad to be going home.

For a little while now, however, Q has been talking about a surprise party. Surprise party? She wanted a surprise party.  But of course she would not tell me what she wanted to do, because it was supposed to be a surprise. I was thinking of taking a pack of girls to get their nails done, or go to a pool, or something. But I really had no idea what would work. So on the 14th, in Charlotte, at the raptor center, I had the inspiration to throw Q a party THE NEXT DAY. Yes, we were driving home. Yes we wouldn't be back until 2 pm or something. No, I couldn't make a cake. No, I had no idea how many people were actually around. But I was going to make this work.

First, I called C44, to see if he could order a cake from Shortcake Bakery. He said they were closed on Mondays, and they needed two days to do a cake, but he'd try the next morning, the morning of the party. If they couldn't do it I suggested a cake from Giant, or an ice cream cake. And ice cream, if we did get a cake cake. All of which C44 did admirably. AND he pre-made dinner for us, which was great.

I'd been in contact with H8's mother already, and we'd planned to have H8 sleep over on her birthday, so when I did ask Q what kind of cake she wanted. A vanilla cake, of course, because H8 doesn't like chocolate. With strawberries.

So, then I texted a bunch of people and told them I was going to have a surprise party the next night, and could they come??? All except one family could come.

So the next day we arrived home. Dinner was made, and eaten, the cake was in the kitchen.

Q8 cake

Q8 knew that H8 was coming over at 6:45. So I sent her over to our neighbors with a pile of magazines for my friend E. And I told Q8 not to come back until 6:45. And could she bring the D family over to share the cake with us??

Q9: "I don't want to share the cake with the Ds"
Me: "Well, I actually already asked them, so ..."
Q9: "Why do I have to stay over there until 6:45?"
Me: "Well, because I'm cleaning up after dinner, I don't want you to get dirty, and if you come back I'm going to make you do chores, H8 isn't coming until 6:45 anyway."
Q9: "Ok, I guess"

So, she did stay. And promptly at 6:30 her friends showed up and started practicing jumping out and yelling "SURPRISE!!!"

Q8 SURPRISE

Which was funny, but did get old after a while. (above see from left to right H8, P8, C6, and S7)

So, then we were watching outside. It was POURING rain, so the Ds drove her back. Here is me looking out the peep hole. I think this photo is just funny.

Q8 is almost here

Then they arrived, Q8 opened the door and we yelled "SURPRISE" and were rewarded with this big, giant smile:

Q8 walking in the door


And the hugs began!!!

Q8 birthday hugs Q8 really surprised

Great party, best and only surprise party I've ever thrown, and Q loved it. We are good til next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment